Get Out of Jail Free Card

How to Help a Loved One Who Is Locked Up Abroad

Receiving a long distance phone call informing you that your loved one is locked up overseas is a nightmare scenario. Unfortunately, it does happen. Each year, around 1000 Australian nationals are arrested while abroad. Below is a guide to what you should do if you discovered a loved one is locked up abroad. 

Contact the Local Australian Embassy

The first thing you need to do is to contact the Australian Embassy in the country they are being held. You should provide the embassy staff with as much information as possible. If you have a copy of your loved one's passport, you should fax or email this over to the embassy. The embassy will be able to provide assistance to your loved one and ensure that they are treated fairly and have their rights respected while they are under arrest.

Contact a Criminal Lawyer

If your loved one is accused of a crime, it is important that you contact a criminal lawyer who will be able to act on their behalf. Some countries do not provide lawyers to those who cannot afford them, and while the embassy staff can offer ongoing support, they cannot provide legal assistance. A criminal defence attorney will be able to apply for bail and may even be able to request that your loved one is deported back to Australia rather than facing serious criminal charges.

Try to Keep Your Loved One Calm

If you get a chance to speak with your loved one, it is important that you remain calm. Although you may be anxious, you do not want your loved one to know this. You should advise your loved one not to sign any documents or to make any statements without the advice of a criminal lawyer. Let your loved one know that you are doing all you can to help them and reassure them that everything will be OK.

Contact Local Support Groups

You should also reach out to local ex-pat groups or churches, which may be able to offer support to your loved one. If they are incarcerated for any length of time, a church group or member of the local ex-pat community could pay them a visit. Hearing a familiar accent or seeing a friendly face can make a big difference to someone who is locked up abroad.

If you would like further advice on the steps you should take, contact a criminal lawyer today.

About Me

Get Out of Jail Free Card

Hello, my name is Gavin. I live in downtown Sydney. When I was a kid, I was always in trouble. It started with little things like shoplifting on days when I had skipped school and progressed to more serious crimes. I was caught breaking into someone's home when I was 17 and sent to a young offenders centre. Since I got out of there, I have been going straight. Unfortunately, your reputation can follow you around. When the local police picked me up for a crime I didn't commit, I thought I was going back to jail. Thankfully, I had a great criminal attorney who was able to prove to the jury that I wasn't even in the city on the day of the crime took place. I learnt a lot about criminal law during the trial so I decided to start a blog to help others.

Latest Posts

Preparing for Your Court Appearance after an Assault Charge
23 July 2021

If you have been charged with assault, consult a q

How To Choose A Criminal Law Firm and Plan A Criminal Case
25 June 2020

Criminal allegations such as drug possession, rape

Things to Consider When Hiring an Economic Crime Defence Solicitor
28 September 2018

If you've committed a crime related to money, you

5 Steps to Take If You're Accused of Domestic Violence
11 July 2018

If your partner has accused you of domestic violen

How to Help a Loved One Who Is Locked Up Abroad
15 March 2017

Receiving a long distance phone call informing you