Get Out of Jail Free Card

5 Steps to Take If You're Accused of Domestic Violence

If your partner has accused you of domestic violence, you need a domestic violence protection lawyer to help you. Your lawyer can help you figure out the best way to protect your case, but you may want to consider the following tips. 

1. Work With an Experienced Criminal Attorney

Ideally, you should select a criminal attorney who has experience with domestic violence cases in particular. There are a wide variety of crimes, and they all need different defenses to fight them. To ensure the best outcomes for your case, you need a lawyer who knows how to fight these charges in particular.

2. Save All Messages

The person accusing you of domestic violence may save your text message and emails. They may even record conversations. However, these communications can be used out of context. To show both sides of the story, you should save your messages. Then, you can create an accurate picture of what was said. Ideally, once you are charged with domestic violence, you should stop communicating with the accuser immediately. Anything you say may be used against you.

3. Follow Protection Orders

If someone is accusing you of domestic violence, they will often get a protection order against you. Breaking the protection order may end up being a seperate charge in addition to any domestic abuse charges you face. To protect yourself from a legal perspective, make sure to follow the protection order and keep your distance from the accuser.

4. Find a Defense

If you are innocent, you need to find a way to defend yourself. Usually, in domestic violence cases, there are only a few defenses you can use. You may argue that you acted in self defense. In other cases, you may argue that the accuser is trying to sabotage you. This tends to happen in divorce cases where one parent is trying to get full custody or a larger settlement. Alternatively, you argue that they don't have enough proof. Your lawyer will help you come up with the right argument for your situation.

5. Offer to Take Anger Management Classes or Counseling

Often with domestic violence or similar issues, you can lessen your sentence if you show remorse. One of the most effective ways to show remorse is by enrolling in an anger management course or agreeing to go to counseling. If you do that, you may be able to get a reduced sentence, even if you plead guilty.

About Me

Get Out of Jail Free Card

Hello, my name is Gavin. I live in downtown Sydney. When I was a kid, I was always in trouble. It started with little things like shoplifting on days when I had skipped school and progressed to more serious crimes. I was caught breaking into someone's home when I was 17 and sent to a young offenders centre. Since I got out of there, I have been going straight. Unfortunately, your reputation can follow you around. When the local police picked me up for a crime I didn't commit, I thought I was going back to jail. Thankfully, I had a great criminal attorney who was able to prove to the jury that I wasn't even in the city on the day of the crime took place. I learnt a lot about criminal law during the trial so I decided to start a blog to help others.

Latest Posts

Preparing for Your Court Appearance after an Assault Charge
23 July 2021

If you have been charged with assault, consult a q

How To Choose A Criminal Law Firm and Plan A Criminal Case
25 June 2020

Criminal allegations such as drug possession, rape

Things to Consider When Hiring an Economic Crime Defence Solicitor
28 September 2018

If you've committed a crime related to money, you

5 Steps to Take If You're Accused of Domestic Violence
11 July 2018

If your partner has accused you of domestic violen

How to Help a Loved One Who Is Locked Up Abroad
15 March 2017

Receiving a long distance phone call informing you